Health Systems Research Fellow/ Senior Research Fellow
The George Institute for Global Health
The George Institute for Global Health is a global, not-for-profit medical research organisation, undertaking high impact research across a broad health landscape. The Institute is a leader in clinical trials, health policy and capacity-building.
The Institute was established in 1999 and has a global network of top medical experts in a range of research fields, as well as expertise in research design, project management and data and statistical analysis. With a respected voice among global policy makers, the Institute has attracted significant funding support from governments, philanthropic organisations and corporations. George Institute research is regularly published in the top tier of academic journals internationally.
Our mission is to improve the health of millions of people worldwide. We achieve this by:
· Providing the best evidence to guide critical health decisions
· Engaging with decision makers to enact real change
· Targeting global epidemics, particularly of chronic diseases and injury
· Focusing on vulnerable populations in both rich and poor countries
In achieving that mission, we are committed to ensuring the integration of good business practices throughout all our operations.
The Institute has grown rapidly since its inception, and currently employs approximately 600 staff with major centres in Australia, China, India and the United Kingdom. The Institute has projects in over 50 countries and over 1100 collaborators, from local hospitals to world leading academic institutes.
The George Institute is made up of several divisions and programs that oversee numerous large-scale international and regional projects funded by a diverse range of sponsors, both public and private.
The research portfolio of the institute includes randomized trials of new treatment and prevention strategies, observational studies of the causes and outcomes of disease and injury, and research into healthcare delivery and policy. For more information about the Institute, visit www.georgeinstitute.org
The George Institute is dedicated to the recruitment, development, and retention of the best people from around the world. The pursuit of academic, scientific and operational excellence in a “can do” culture is actively promoted in all our activities.
Context of the Role
Health Systems Science is a newly created theme within the Institute. Health Systems Science is a dynamic and emerging discipline that includes health services research, health policy and systems research and implementation science. The goal of this theme of work is to overcome the challenges of delivering affordable, high quality health services and programs to communities across China and globally.
The Health Systems Research Fellow will support existing projects of the George Institute China that have a health systems focus. The position will work to ensure that ‘systems thinking’ is incorporated into these projects and in the development of new research ideas. This may include undertaking analyses of health system performance in China, conducting studies of health systems intervention, developing new partnerships with key stakeholders and advocating for evidence-informed policy changes.
In the current context of an increased number of international funding opportunities aimed at supporting health systems research, the successful candidate will enhance Institute-wide knowledge of, and engagement with, these funders and investigate opportunities for the development of external partnerships for joint proposals, projects and programs of research to strengthen the excellence and impact of our work.
The Health Systems Research Fellow has a dual reporting relationship to the Executive Director, The George Institute China and the Director of Health Systems Science, The George Institute Global.
The role will initially have no direct supervisory responsibilities but will support research leads and team members in the George Institute China offices and the Office of the Chief Scientist.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
· Support the Institute’s existing health systems-related projects to ensure research teams have the necessary capacity to implement health systems research methods
· Work with research teams to ensure the incorporation of appropriate ‘systems thinking’ in project approach; provide assistance with the revision and augmentation of project methods to facilitate increased relevance to the broader health system.
· Assess national and international funding opportunities for health systems research and enhance Institute-wide knowledge of, and engagement with, these funders.
· Lead and contribute to the development of peer-reviewed publications with health systems focus.
· Organise educational seminars delivered by visiting specialists aimed at increasing exposure of all Institute staff to health systems science and its components
· Identify and undertake professional development opportunities to increase personal capacity in health systems science
· Attract high quality PhD students; and support students in securing competitive scholarship funding.
· Engage with external individual and organisations with health systems research expertise to develop partnerships for technical advice and capacity development.
As a Team Member:
· Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation;
· Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of The Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy;
· Demonstrate commitment to The Institute’s organisational values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
As a Team Manager:
· Ensure direct reports understand and comply with GI’s Policies and procedures, standard operating practices, ethical practice (with respect to research) and the legislative environment.
· Be responsible for managing performance of direct reports, including the completion of plans and agreeing on work and personal objectives and reviewing such plans and objectives, in accordance with GI’s Performance Management and Development Policy.
· Act as a role model and ensure the team’s commitment to GI’s values, ensuring direct reports perform to a high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, Health and Safety
· Comply with Work Health and Safety legislation and operate in accordance with established Occupational Health and Safety practice and procedures at the Institute;
· Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
· PhD in a public health related discipline
· Experience conducting research in one or more of the following areas: health policy analysis, health services research, implementation science, health economic evaluation or process evaluation.
· Familiarity with both quantitative and qualitative research methods
· Experience working in multidisciplinary research teams and managing relationships with external partners
· Well-developed written and oral communication skills, including a demonstrated publications track record and prior public speaking engagements
· Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well flexibly, i.e. independently and engaging with research teams
· Knowledge of the processes of competitive funding applications
· Competency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Competency in the use of statistical and qualitative software packages desirable; ability to liaise with biostatisticians, health economists, and qualitative researchers
· Excellent planning and organisational skills
· Strong desire to expand personal knowledge and capacity in the area of health systems research.
· Understanding of confidentiality and privacy laws and guidelines relevant to medical and public health research.
Please send your CV in English and Chinses to email@example.com with the subject of Health Systems Research Fellow/ Senior Research Fellow Application" before December 31, 2018.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 31/12/2018