Program Manager, Global Health
In the context of major international developments over recent years, a review of The George Institute’s “global health” activities (research and other activities related to non-communicable diseases and injury that will benefit under-served populations worldwide and especially in low- and middle-income countries) was completed in March 2018. The review made a number of recommendations, primarily aimed at increasing the scope and impact of such activities. The key recommendation was to establish an over-arching, coordinated strategy for global health activities at the GI, with adequate start-up funding to ensure implementation. Key elements of this strategy will include:
- Re-orientating the strategy of the GI office in the UK to have a substantial focus on global health activities.
- Building senior researcher capacity in GI offices in India and China.
- Engaging mid-career and senior researchers involved in global health activities in all offices to support the growth of activities in other offices and to leverage opportunities in partnership with UNSW.
- Developing and implementing a specific strategy for engagement in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Developing and implementing a specific strategy for engagement with international NGOs, foundations and multilateral agencies.
- Developing and implementing a specific strategy around fund-raising in global health from non-traditional sources for GI.
The Institute has committed resources to address these recommendations, including the appointment of a Program Manager to coordinate the development and implementation of the global health strategy.
The position directly reports to Chief Scientist, The George Institute for Global Health with a dotted line to the Executive Director (India)
This position has been established to manage the global health program across all GI offices, with both an internal coordination focus, with some requirement for facilitating external stakeholder engagement.
Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Document GI’s global health activities: past, present and planned
- Assist in the development and implementation of a 3-5-year global health strategy
- Support the operations of the GI Global Health Steering Committee
- Produce reports on progress towards goals of global health strategy
- Manage the establishment and operations of working groups tasked with the implementation of specific components of the global health strategy
- Coordinate mechanisms for disbursement of funding for specific initiatives; manage and report on budget
- Work with the GI Research Services and Strategy team to support seed grant funding
- Work with the GI Research Services and Strategy team and regional development teams to identify sources for funding global health activities
- Create a database of global key researchers, policymakers, funders
- Assist Senior Advocacy Advisor on the implementation of external stakeholder engagement plan as it pertains to the global health program
- Facilitate communication and coordination with other global or other relevant programs – e.g. health systems science, women’s health program, Indigenous Health (Australia)
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Background and expertise in health and medical research and/or health policy, with a relevant post-graduate degree
- Experience in project management
- Experience in organisational planning and capacity building
- Experience working globally, with multilateral organisations, international NGOs or foundations, especially in relation to activities in resource-poor settings, including low and middle-income countries
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams, managing relationships with external partners and engaging senior internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well flexibly, i.e. both independently and with a variety of teams
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, clearly mentioning the job title ‘Program Manager, Global Health’ in the subject line to email@example.com by 30 June 2018.
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi
Application close date: 30/06/2018